Monday, September 10, 2012

Wish I'd Known: I Hate You

Pin It

Today's tip comes from Clarissa:

Be prepared for the, "I hate you" and wait to respond until you can do so calmly......After a long time out (until we're both calm), I tell her that I love her and that it makes me very sad when she says that. She always apologizes and feels terrible about saying it. She has said it and many other terrible things to both my husband and I on numerous occasions. The best thing we've found for dealing with it is just to wait a few minutes. - Clarissa

I am so not looking forward to that stage. As much as we think that our child would never say, "I hate you", every child will. I think it's good to have a plan with how you're going to handle it before hand so you don't have to try to figure out how to discipline when emotions are high. Thanks so much for the advice Clarissa!

No comments: