Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Helping Kids Adjust

Pin It
I was talking to my sister-in-law the other day and she mentioned that her first grade daughter was having a difficult time adjusting to school.  This was the first time she hasn't been in a class with her twin brother, and it was taking it's toll.  I was trying to think something simple that could help her get through her day a bit easier.  

The first thing that came to my mind was to paint a little rock and either write a message or paint a smiley face on it.  The child can put it in their pocket as a little reminder.  That way anytime they start to feel sad, frustrated or homesick they can rub their pocket and be reminded that they "can do hard things".  To make the rocks I used acrylic paint and then a small black sharpie marker.  Your child could easily make the rock themselves.
I realize that sometimes little girls wear skirts that may not have a pocket, so another idea I came up with is to have matching mommy/daughter bracelets.  That way she can have a simple reminder that her mom loves her.  You can tell your daughter, "Whenever you look at the bracelet think of me and whenever I look at the bracelet I'll think of you."  These bracelets were purchased at a Farmer's Market, but you could totally make your own matching bracelets which would be a great little activity to do with your daughter.


Sometimes it really is just the simple things that can help a child through hard times.  Try it out and let me know how it goes!