Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Glue Snowmen

Pin It

Okay I saw something like this on pinterest a while back and wanted to try them out.  It seemed like a fun craft to do with my daughter and with all the snow outside, I thought it was a good time to make them.

They didn't turn out perfectly, but I did learn some things along the way that I thought I'd share :)

Materials:
Wax paper
Elmer's glue
Tape
Buttons,
Paper
Oogly Eyes
Glitter
Other decorating supplies

The first thing I learned was that your wax paper needs to be totally flat and not wrinkled at all....woops!  Because my paper wasn't totally flat, I ended up with a large "crack" in my snowman because the glue just slid off of the high point of the crease.  So make sure your wax paper is flat and to ensure it doesn't get any wrinkles, take it down to your pan or whatever surface you're using.

I set my face and other embellishments out on the paper so I could figure out how big my snowman needed to be.
 Then I drew the outline of my snowman,
Next I filled it in.
 Then I put the face and other decorations on top of the glue.  Here is another lesson I learned....honestly...felt is not so great.  It absorbes the glue and leaves very little for the actual body of the snowman so he was a bit weak around the neck area.  I'd use foam or paper instead.  
 My daughter enjoyed decorating her snowman too.

Then you just let the glue dry.  FYI this pretty much takes all day long.  Also.....if you use foam like I did for the hats, you'll want to peel the hats up a little bit after a few hours to let the air get to glue so it will draw quicker.  Once the glue is completely dry carefully feel the snowman off of the wax paper.

This is my daughters finished snowman.
 Here is mine.....notices the crack due to the crease in the paper?  Boo.  The good news is that it's an easy fix....all you have to do is glue it back together...ha!

1 comment:

tlcukjourney said... #

This is gorgeous, I have to do this with my kids!!